FOLLOW THE VOYAGE - TS KENNEDY

Thursday, December 27, 2012

12/22/2013 MMA Cadets and their Majors- Marine Transportation

So, when you think "Mass Maritime" visions of the T.S. Kennedy and other nautical images come to mind. The Marine Transportation major is the most closely related to what we picture Mass Maritime to portray. I have asked a few of my "Deckie" friends to answer the interview questions you have seen in my past posts.

Laura Basile is a 1/C Marine Trans. Cadet. Last year, she was a Squad Leader for Sixth Company with me, and my roommate. This winter, she will be going on Sea Term as well! Marine Trans. Cadets have to pass three Sea Terms: Freshmen year, Sophomore year, and Senior year. During their Junior year, they ship out with maritime companies for their cooperatives.

Question 1. In your own words, explain your major.
Answer- "I drive really big ships." That is definitely the goal of the major! To get out there and master merchant marine vessels!

Question 2. Explain why you chose your major.
Answer- "I chose it because I felt like it's where I belong. It felt right and was really interesting."

Question 3. After graduation, what do you hope to do with your degree?
Answer- "I would like to do something in my field, but a shore side job. Not deep sea."


Lauren DeNapoli is also a 1/C Deckie Cadet. She is the Regimental Training and Retention Officer of MMA's Regiment of Cadets. Lauren has also become MMA's Crew Team Captain, participating in the sport since her very first semester. Lauren will also be on Sea Term 2013!

Question 1. In your own words, explain your major.
Answer- "Marine Transportation prepares students for life on a ship and gives them the knowledge they need to be successful in the maritime industry."

Question 2. Explain why you chose your major.
Answer- "I chose MTRA because of my freshman Sea Term. I loved the feeling of being on a ship and looking out the window to see nothing but ocean. It's very relaxing. I also like the industry as a whole, it's very interesting and there's always something happening. I also love the boat handling. There are so many opportunities, either on big ships or supply vessels or tugs that  MTRA can prepare you for!"

Question 3. After graduation, what do you hope to do with your degree?
Answer- "I am currenly looking into jobs in the Gulf of Mexico on a supply vessel. With one of the OSV companies. Those jobs have great schedules and I've heard great things about hte work they do. They also get alot of boat handling experience, which is something that I would like to perfect!"


Alexander Jagielski is a 2/C Deckie, Squad Leader of Sixth Company. He will be shipping out this winter for his co-op.

Question 1. In your own words, explain your major.
Answer- "Through Coast Guard regulations and MMA, I am studying and learning all there is to know about becoming a Third Mate licensed officer upon a ship."

Question 2. Explain why you chose your major.
Answer- "I chose my major after my freshman sea term, simply for the fact that I feel in love with the open ocean. At sea is where I feel comfortable and free."

Question 3. After graduation, what do you hope to do with your degree?
Answer- "After I graduate, I plan on deep sea shipping for a few years. My dream is to work for a RO/RO ship traveling the world. After a few years of shipping out, I plan on coming ashore and working on tug boats as a tug pilot. Or possibly working with ferry's in New England."


Use this interactive to learn some Navigation Facts                                   
Unscramble these navigation terms       
Hands-on Activity: The North (Wall) Star or Where Am I: Navigation and Satellites





No comments:

Post a Comment