FOLLOW THE VOYAGE - TS KENNEDY

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sea Term 2013 Comes to an End


It was a bitter-sweet feeling as I supervised the 4/C and 3/C as they manned the rails for the last time this cruise. Six weeks of learning, experiencing, and growing have come and gone so quickly. As I think back, I realize that this is the beginning of the end of my four years at Mass Maritime. It was great to have this one last opportunity out on the T. S. Kennedy.

Today was a rush, from our 0530 Reveille to our disembark at 1100. We manned the rails the length of the Cape Cod Canal. Family and friends lined the canal path all the way to the Academy. The turnout was just as impressive as when we left Buzzards Bay; vibrant signs and loud cheers rang up from the pier to the boat deck. The cadets were so excited to point out their family members and wave to their loved ones. The realization that we were home got stronger and stronger as we passed under the Sagamore Bridge, then the Bourne Bridge, and finally the Train Bridge. Home!

It was a bustle of excitement as everyone got to their cleaning stations. It was, after all, still field day and the ship still needed a cleaning. Bags were all packed, and the passport parade cleared through customs. And the pipe for release was made with three blasts of the ship's whistle.

First crew, and then 1/C; I made my way to the line as fast as possible. The line moved more quickly than you would think. I loaded myself up with all of my belongings (two duffle bags and my sea bag!) and hustled down the gangway. My dad was there to greet me! I was so happy to see him!










It's wonderful being home, but like I said it's sad that Sea Term 2013 has come to an end. It's something that very few people get to experience in their entire life, and I appreciated every second of it. We had Marine Safety Environmental Protection Classes, Emergency Management Classes, International Maritime Business Classes, Marine Engine, and Marine Transportation. You've learned bout the lives of the deckies, engineers, cadets, and crew out at sea. We went to New Orleans via the Mississippi River, Puerto Rico and the views from the Fortification Systems, Jamaica with cliff diving at Rick's Cafe and the horseback riding excursion, and Aruba with it's sandy beaches and under water worlds from the catamaran excursion.
The Regiment of Cadets should now be a piece of cake for all of you! Thank you all for following my blog; I hope you've enjoyed learning about a cadet's Semester at Sea. There will be many more Sea Terms and plenty of new, different ports to discover in the years to come!

~Alicia   

No comments:

Post a Comment