FOLLOW THE VOYAGE - TS KENNEDY

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cadet Interviews

Name: Samantha Joyce
Year: Freshman
From: South Boston, MA
High school: Boston Collegiate Charter school

Why did you choose MMA?
My cousins graduated from MMA and are both very successful so I wanted to follow their lead. Another reason is because I wanted to go to a school where academics can be a top priority and distractions that are found at other colleges don't exist here.

What has been your favorite part of sea term?
I have enjoyed the engine training the most, it is interesting and I have always loved to work with my hands. I have always enjoyed math, even though I have to work hard at it. Also I enjoy being out at sea with all my friends and being away from home for the first time. After a hard day of training and maintenance its relaxing to sit on the fantail and see nothing but open ocean.

So Marine engineering is the major you are going to choose?
Actually, I want to go facilities engineering. I got accepted into the Mass state license program which means that when I graduate I will have a third class engineering license. This program will give me better opportunities when I look for an internship and I can take sophomore classes next semester instead of waiting.

What did you find most challenging about life at MMA in the fall semester?
The hardest part was dealing with the regiment as well as my academics, and adjusting to life away from home.

What port of call are you looking forward to the most?
I can't wait to get to Barbados because I hear the beaches are amazing.

Name: Devon Brodeur
Year: Freshman
From: Worcester, MA
High School: Bay Path Regional Vocational Technical High School

Why did you choose MMA?
I went to a tech school for HVAC, my shop teachers suggested attending MMA so I looked into it, heard great things, and never looked back.

What major did you come here for?
I was undecided between facilities and marine engineering, but now I know I want to go marine engineering.

What made you decide on Marine engineering?
I defiantly wanted some type of engineering degree because I always loved working hands on. Fall semester I had a work study job with the engineers on the Kennedy. After talking to the guys, hearing their stories, and working in the engine room I made my decision.

Did you look forward to sea term?
I looked forward to sea term as an experience to get out and travel the world. I wanted the chance to prove to myself that I could be independent. This trip will let me know if working away from land is what I want

What had been your favorite part of sea term?
Defiantly working in the engine room. When I am on engine watch I use my time to question the seniors, the watch engineers, and trace the various systems that can be found there. When I am not learning my favorite part is hanging out on the Hilo deck with friends.

What port are you looking forward to the most?
I am doing white water rafting in Vera Cruz, looking forward to the beaches in Barbados, and Zip lining in San Juan; so I can't decide on a favorite. I am looking forward to them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment