FOLLOW THE VOYAGE - TS KENNEDY

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

FTV February 5


Yesterday was our last day of adventure in Barbados before making our way towards Columbia. Throughout our time here the weather has been nothing but beautiful blue skies and the water has been nothing less than amazing. As my last day in Barbados I decided to explore the other side of the island in search for the islands best kept secrets. At one point throughout the day I came across a hot spot for kite surfers. The horizon was filled with kites, as you can see in the picture; it was a beautiful site to see. My journey brought me to Crane Beach one of the top ten beaches in the world. I was most definitely convinced of that when I arrived, the sand was tinted with a splash of pink and felt like Egyptian cotton.


Overall my experience in Barbados was terrific, and for all of you who have not had the chance to visit, I highly recommend it if you ever have the opportunity.












SCIENCE WEDNESDAY:

Some beaches, like Crane’s are sandy, some are swampy and some are rocky. Some are very narrow and others are very wide. Whatever their composition, waves and tides are constantly moving the particles around so beaches are constantly changing. Click here to learn more about sands and beaches and why scientists are interested in them.

Sand is created from the breakdown of larger rocks. The type of sand present, for example at a beach, is determined by the geological make-up of the region. 

Beaches are formed by the interaction between the forces of the ocean and the material available to create a beach. Beach material comes from either land or marine sources. Learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment